Sunday, May 8, 2011

Shiki・no・mori Park in Yokohama

I went to Shikinomori Park on purpose. I had a request from a foreigner to let him know a suitable site for watching fireflies. I looked for an information and found one. That was this park's event, ' firefly festival in June.' I had never been to this park, so I went there to see how it was like. 'Shiki' means four seasons. 'Mori' is a forest. 'No' is a particle for possession. So, Shikinomori is a forest of four seasons. We can enjoy four different scenaries at this park in Yokohama in one year. Two Chinese characters before the name make an adjective 'prefectural.' This is a Kanagawa prefectural park which is open 24 hour a day and free of charge.There are full of trees with valleys, marsh and ponds.Something is hanging over the pond.Streamers of carp are flying over the pond. In early May we have a habit of unfurling carp-shaped streamers to celebrate children's sound growth. Under the streamers there are real carp in the pond.A duck is floating comfortably.Several amateuer cameramen were waiting for something. I wondered what they were waithig for. So, I asked one of the men what they were doing.The reply was,' We are waiting for a kingfisher to alight on the perch in the pond. We catch the scene that a kingfisher catches a fish.' Calami are beautiful.I was fascinated to see a water mill. I will come here with my grandson in the future. I took this picture in an arboretum.

My conclusion: This is a huge park with natural beauty. You will be able to enjoy not only fireflies but also flowers, birds, carp and tortois.
Written and posted by Mitsutoshi Masunari.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment