Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Japanese Robinson Crusoe in the Edo Period

I have already introduced stories about a castaway 'Jeseph Heco(1837-1897) ' in my yahoo blog several times.
His original name was Hikozo Hamada, a man born in the suburbs of Kobe of the Hyogo Prefecture. It was a fishing village named Harima.
The reason why I introduced him in this google blog: I was so pleased to find a you-tube video about Heco.
The tale of a Japanese castaway by Asian Art Museun in San Francisco
This is a 40 minutes' video. I am sure you will enjoy it.
-Summary-
"When Hikozo was 13 years old, a fishingboat wrecked and drifted in the Pacific Ocean until 17 crews including him were rescued by an American freighter. They were taken to San Francisco. Hikozo was already 21 when he finally came back to Japan as an American -Jeseph Heco."
Written and posted by Mitsutoshi Masunari.
P.S.
Stories about Hikozo Hamada in my yahoo blog
1st :The first Japanese American
2nd : Heco's hometown in Harima of Hyogo Prefecture
3rd: Jeseph Heco in Nagasaki
Hikozo Hamada aka Jesef Heco in his hometown

No comments:

Post a Comment