Friday, June 3, 2011

Nagasaki-1 : Dejima

I made a short trip to Nagasaki. This was my first visit to this city, so I was excited.I walked from my hotel to Dejima Harbor.
There was a sign saying 'Nagasaki Dejima Harbor.' Dejima was an offshore island which was artificially build to controll Portuguese in 1636. In 1639 Portuguese were ousted to avoid their colonialism and Christianity.In 1641 Dutch merchants' buildings were transferred from another city Hirado to Dejima and Dutch people were allowed to live there to  have a trade relationship with Japan during the national isolation period(1639-1854) without armaments and missions of Christianity.
A ship is being moored at Dejima Harbor. Dejima finished its role for secluding Portuguese people after 1834. In 1897 this area was reclaimed and Dejima has not been an island any more. From Dejima I walked through a beautiful park 'Nagasaki Mizube no Mori Park' and took a picture of the Megami Bridge. Megami means Goddess in Japanese.

No comments:

Post a Comment